Monday, June 6, 2011

Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic

via


This weekend Rachel came to town and we took care of another item on my Summer in the City list:
18. Attend the Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic.

After a very long wait for the Governor's Island Ferry yesterday, we were off for a delicious picnic, perfect sunny weather, and of course a polo match.  Seriously, ladies...is there anything better than wearing a fancy hat and sipping champagne?  I don't think so.

Perhaps the best part of the polo match was the fashion.  I don't think I've ever seen so much seersucker or so many big hats in one place in my life!  I was a total creep and snapped some photos of some particularly good outfit choices.

The couple at that table are just picture perfect

Loved this guy's red jacket!

Two dapper gentlemen

The most ridiculous/hideous hat I have EVER seen!
Now on to the actual polo match.  Nacho Figueras played a phenomenal game for BlackWatch and was named MVP.  I really enjoy watching a polo match!  It's very fast paced and unlike most professional sports, they don't constantly stop for time outs and penalties.


One particularly interesting part of a polo match is the divot stomp.  During halftime everyone walks on the field to fix the divots the horses made during the first half.

Me posing in my hat stomping the divots
The divot stomp
The most disappointing part of the day, was that they RAN OUT OF CHAMPAGNE!  How do they run out of champagne at a polo match sponsored by Veuve Clicquot?  We waited in line at 2 different kiosks only to have them both run out of champagne before we got to the front.  FOR SHAME!

This led to a very sober ferry ride back to Manhattan.  Which was disappointing given the large groups of tipsy people chanting "Party on a boat!  Party on a boat!".  Hopefully next year they won't let us down.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I recently went to a steeplechase in Virginia and noted the same abundance of searsucker suits! And, I too took lots of pictures of the outfits...thank goodness I'm sneaky and have a good zoom! If you want to check out my post, it's here: http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com/2011/05/steeplechase-report-1-fashion.html

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete