Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend Wrap Up

I have been doing such a terrible job of knocking off items on my Summer in the City list.  In an attempt to make up for lost time, I took care of two this weekend.

1. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.
6. Attend a free concert


Friday

I woke up at the crack of dawn and headed to Rockefeller Center to see Enrique Iglesias perform at The Today Show!  It was so much fun and I'm really glad I went.

The Today Show Studios

Nick Cannon

Enrique!

Enrique!
Needless to say, I was absolutely exhausted and wasn't up for a crazy night after such an early morning.  Ora and I opted for a low key dinner and shopping excursion in Forest Hills.  I'm kinda obsessed with that neighborhood now.  So cute and everything's really affordable.

We had dinner at the Bonfire Grill and it was absolutely delicious!  There are few places in NYC where you can get a steak dinner and a martini for less than $30...and seriously it was one of the best steak dinners I've ever had.  If you ever stop by, order the Sliced Steak Frites and shell out the extra $2 for the sweet potato fries...delish!

Saturday


Melissa and I hit up Parked! Food Truck Festival.  Soooo much fun and such a great way to try out a bunch of different food trucks.

Parked! Food Truck Festival

A huge crowd turned out for the festival
Some of the food trucks

The delicious food!
Top Left: Maine Style Lobster Roll from the Red Hook Lobster Pound
Top Right: Dill Pickles from Grillo's Pickles
Bottom Left: Morticia Ice Cream sandwich from Melt Bakery
Bottom Right: Potato Teriyaki Balls from Teriyaki Balls

Teriyaki Balls was nothing to write home about but other than that, all the food was delicious!  The ice cream sandwich from Melt Bakery pretty much changed my life.  It was the best ice cream sandwich I've ever had!!

After our feast we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge.



The very end of the night took an unexpected turn when we stumbled upon the weekly Salsa Party at the South Street Seaport.  I've never ever danced salsa before but one of the men there asked me if I'd like to be his dance partner.  I said yes and ended up dancing for over an hour!  I was terrible at first but by the end I had really caught on.  Sooooo much fun!

Sunday


I had a lazy day but I did cook this for dinner:

Gnocchi Mac and Cheese!  It was a big hit with my roommates and really easy to make.  You can find the recipe here.  I made a double batch so I could have left overs for lunch this week.  The recipe makes about half the amount pictured.

I hope you all have happy Mondays!


13 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun weekend!!!! I love Enrique! Concerts are so much fun! I want to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge too! All the Food Truck food looks delish! Ahh, I love NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the photos you have :) Great weekend is looks like! YAY! :)

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great weekend! How fun it must be to live in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say - I wish I was there? That looks like such a great weekend. : ] I'm glad you're taking advantage of living in such a cool city.

    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why can't Tampa be cool like New York? We have 1 food truck...the Taco Bus...and I've never heard of a festival for such things. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wanna spend a weekend with you!!! but can we include Enrique too?! my twinkie and claire are going to die when they see you got to see him! DEF. worth waking up early for ;)

    I'm SO going to make that recipe! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHH! That sounds like the perfect weekend. Enrique, salsa dancing, food truck festival? Cincinnati is so lame in comparison. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great weekend! Walking the Brooklyn Bridge in on my August bucket list and I think I am going to try to accomplish it on Wednesday! Great pictures :)

    I love the icecream sandwiches from Melt! The cinnamax sandwich is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!! I'm SUPER jealous right now! This morning I watched Enrique's Today performance on Perez Hilton and then later on I get a phone call at work from Micaela and she told me I HAD to go on your blog asap haha I LOVE Enrique! :) He was my number 1 for a long time :) I would go insane if I got to see him live :) Lucky, lucky girl! :) Definitely worth getting up early and being exhausted the rest of the day for :) I LOVED walking on the Brooklyn Bridge with Micaela and Karina while we were there in NYC. I definitely have a thing for bridges :) Someday when I go back I'll have to plan a jog on it :) Reading your great fun in the city posts makes me miss NYC so much! I love that you can go to a salsa club completely unplanned and have so much fun with a man who teaches you the moves! You're my kinda gal :) And the best Mexican food in Texas comes from the Taco truck :) I LOVE their carnitas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had such a fun time! That gnocchi mac & cheese looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome weekend!! And going to a food truck festival is totally on my list of things to do!
    This recipe sounds AMAZING!! I'm gonna have to make it this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh I live (and grew up) in Forest Hills! So glad you liked it - I have yet to check out Bonfire Grill but I definitely want to (it's relatively new, and a little farther down Austin St than the rest of the restaurants). I know you're moving out of NY, but if you're back in FH before you go and want an awesome slice of pizza, A&J's is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I was at the Food Truck Festival too - so awesome!

    ReplyDelete