Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A New Normal

It's been almost 2 weeks since I lost my dad and it still doesn't feel real.  I still expect it to be him when my phone rings, I want to call him after the Patriots make a great play, and when something exciting happens I still think "I can't wait to tell dad about this".

I've been overwhelmed by the out pouring of support from others.  Friends I hadn't seen in 5 years showed up at my house, we were constantly surrounded my relatives, and the neighbors made sure we had plenty to eat.  When I arrived back in DC there was even a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my coworkers in NYC waiting on my kitchen table.  And how can I not mention all the sweet emails and comments from the blog world.

Now it's time to get back into my normal routine.  A new normal routine that doesn't include daily lunch time chats with my dad.  But getting back into the office, cooking dinner every night, and now getting back into blogging are helping me.  Life is going to be different but it's going to continue to happen.  It might take some time but I'm going to be ok.

13 comments:

  1. Oh no I feel terrible that I missed your last post only to see this one and be so lost. I am so sorry. It seems like you have a positive outlook and that's step 1. Remember your friends (esp us blog friends) who love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Big hugs to you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss! Keep your head up and know your father is looking down on you and is so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss! Your attitude and strength is so admirable and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad six months ago, yesterday - and oddly had a blog post with the same title.

    It fucking sucks. And presumably always will. If you need an empathetic ear, I'm here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking and praying for you girl! I just found out that my momma's cancer came back and it hit me pretty hard. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't stopped thinking about you and praying for you since your last blog post. My deepest condolences to you and your family for your immeasurable loss. I think that if there's anything exciting you want to tell your daddy, you should still continue to tell him. He's always with you! I believe that with all my heart. Sending you lots of hugs sweet girl. I'm here for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am so sorry for your loss. you and your family are in my prayers. i didn't know him but i know he is so proud of you and he is ALWAYS with you. wish i could give you a big hug right now! i'm here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you girl! Keeping you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope each day gets a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so, so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're making your way back into the blogging world! I've missed you and I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leanna, my deepest condolences. I think that you're coping in an incredibly healthy way. My best to you and your family and making new lives without him - still doing all the great things you do knowing his love is with you there all along.

    Much love,
    Kathryn Boland

    ReplyDelete