Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Embrace the Crazy

via
My roommate and I have been having a lot of great conversations lately.  We had one last week that I was reminded of when I read, How to Be More Interesting (In 10 Simple Steps) on Forbes this morning.  Number 4 on the list is "Embrace your innate weirdness".

My roommate has this wonderful theory that everyone comes with their own brand of crazy.  Some of it is good crazy and some of it is bad crazy.  The important thing is knowing what yours is and working with it.  We were especially talking about it in terms of relationships and how you have to find someone who's crazy is complimentary to your own crazy.

I am well aware of my two types of crazy:

1. I always have to plan things in advance.  My Erin Condren planner is like my security blanket and I have everything from workouts, to business meetings, to happy hours penciled in a week ahead of time.
2. I need to feel like I'm a priority.  I don't expect whoever I'm dating to hang out with me constantly (I NEED my personal space) but I need them to clear time in their schedule for us to hang out...and not just invite me to tag along when they go out with their friends.  If this doesn't happen, I take it a little bit personally and end up feeling hurt.

I don't think either of these are bad things but they are little quirks of mine that tend to play a huge part in the success or failure of any relationships I involve myself in.  I'm hoping that taking the time to recognize them will help me put a better emphasis on finding someone that compliments these 2 little pieces of crazy.

So tell me ladies, what's your crazy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm super scheduled as well. And freakishly clean and organized. : ] No wonder I like you so much. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way with planning. Except I use google calendar synced with my phone. I even put reminders on it to do chores. :/

    Other crazy: If I don't listen NPR in the morning, it's not a real day.

    Yours aren't _real_ crazy! In fact, the second one is just plain reasonable! ;)

    ReplyDelete