Thursday, March 8, 2012

Journey Forward (4)



This week's topic is to share our goals for 2012.  I came up with a pretty comprehensive list of New Year's Resolutions back in January and a few of these will build off of those.  My goals as a whole focus on the maturing element of the word "grow".

1. Pay Off My Credit Card Debt...and Don't Accumulate More

via
I confess, I wasn't always the most responsible with my money.  In college instead of saving, I spent all my paychecks on nights out with the girls, new clothes, and Spring Break trips to Mexico.  Last year when I was living in NYC, I was earning a non-profit salary, making student loan payments, and I was still up to all my old tricks...dropping $100 on a night out, shopping in Soho, and jumping on a plane to Miami for my roommate's birthday.  What can I say?  I was young and stupid.  I've really turned things around though and once I get my state tax returns back, I will officially be credit card debt free!  Now the big goal will be to continue budgeting and not letting things get out of control again.

2. Be A Better Friend

via
I've been blessed with some of the best girlfriends anyone could ever have.  They know how to be silly and fun but are also unbelievably supportive and loyal.  Since I've lived in MA, DC, NYC, and now VA...my girls are spread out all over the place and I'm trying hard to keep in touch and maintain these friendships.  I'm trying to be better about scheduling happy hours, coffee dates, and brunches with the girls that are here and making time for phone dates, emails, and sending snail mail to the girls that live in different states.  How do you stay close with your friends?  I'd love some tips!

3. Read More

via
I love to read.  There's nothing better to me than getting lost in a good book, whether it be a trashy novel or a non-fiction memoir.  However, I often find myself stretching out on the couch and turning on the TV in the evenings.  I want to push myself to read more and read books that I can learn something from this year.  I've got a stack of books I was supposed to read for college courses but never had the time.  I want to dig into a few of these soon.

4. Become a Better Conversationalist

via
I love meeting and talking to new people.  However, I always start off feeling shy and self-conscious and rely on the other person to break the ice.  I'd really like to work on this over the course of the year.  I'd like to be the one that makes others feel comfortable and not the one that sits there waiting for a good time to jump into the conversation.

5. Stop Procrastinating

via
I am a terrible procrastinator.  I could clean the old clothes out of my closet today...or later this week.  I should really write a letter to my penpal...or I could do it tomorrow.  I should call my grandparents...it can wait a few hours.  I always meet deadlines for work but the nagging tasks in my personal life don't always get accomplished.  This year, I want to make those tasks a priority as well.

6 comments:

  1. Great list, Leanna!

    I love these goals, especially the stop procrastinating one! I do a lot of that (it's how my blog came into being!) Being a good conversationalist is also a really good goal. I am very shy and awkward when meeting new people and wish I were better at making 'small talk'

    Good luck!

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.com/2012/03/journey-forward-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your goals are balanced between fun and what may not be as much fun - paying off credit card debt is hard but it is SUCH A rewarding feeling. I accumulated over $10,000 worth when I lived in NYC and I'm so thankful to have that behind me. Good luck!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great way to keep in touch with friends is to Skype them! Or google hang-outs or Facetime. One of my best friends lives in Korea, and we have a once-a-month date on Skype. We have a blast video-chatting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lucky enough to not have credit card debt, BUT looking at it from the other side...I don't have crazy vacations or great shopping sprees to look back fondly on. So what I am saying is, at least you enjoyed it and are now correcting it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great goals!! I specially like the "stop procrastinating" one. I'm a HUGE procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really great goals to have! My husband and I just got out of credit card debt last year and we are going to pay my car loan off this year with tax return money. You will love the feeling when you don't see those bills rolling in every month!

    ReplyDelete