Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Being Present




Hi.  My name is Leanna and I'm a social media addict.  I'm constantly checking Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, Pinterest, Instagram, Foursquare, and Goodreads for the latest updates.  When I'm out doing something fun, my first thought is "I can't wait to share this on (insert form of social media here)".  I find myself whipping out my phone to sneak in a quick tweet or post a new picture to Facebook instead of actually enjoying the moment.

I think part of this stems from blogging...there's a need to constantly generate interesting content in order to build and maintain your following...and part of it stems from my personality.  I enjoy sharing the new and exciting things I'm doing with others and honestly, I like the ego boost when people comment on my content saying they enjoy it/think it looks like fun/want to try out a tip I've posted for themselves.

It's gotten to a point though where I need to slow my social media roll.  When your friends ask you how many more pictures you're going to tweet of your iced coffee, it's time to admit you have a problem.  Or like last night when we were out at trivia at Four Courts...there was a moment when all 8 of us were sitting at the table checking our phones.  What's the point of spending time together if that's what you're going to do?   I've decided it's time for me to make more of an effort to be present in the moment and not share every little thing on social media the moment it's happening.

I'm guessing this is a dilemma that other bloggers face as well...how do you balance creating content and building your blog/social media presence with your daily routine?  How often do you tweet/pin/instagram etc?  What is content that you absolute must share the moment it happens and what do you hold off on?



4 comments:

  1. I'm the exact same way! I always want to share absolutely everything I'm doing :) LOVE social media!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really struggled with this, especially being in the moment! I sit there and go oh wait I need to check in on 4 square! I'm currently on a 'facebook' break and deleted the app from my phone and deactivated my account, still doing twitter and the rest but facebook is so MUCH that i've really enjoyed the 'break' so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on all counts but I think putting your phone away really helps - especially at the dinner table! My mum has a house rule where all phones have to be put in a basket during dinner time...I HATE when people interrupt conversations to check their phones {I was guilty of it too!} But we have to remember that the reason we like to share things on social media is because we're actually enjoying something we do in real life. If we take that away, then what on earth are we writing about? :) xxx ps: I figure a good way of rating the content you are about to post online {be it on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc...} is to ask yourself if that's something you'd like to see on your newsfeed. If the answer is that you're not sure, then don't put it up. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guilty! C was on me all weekend about how much I was on my phone. Mostly I am just reading everyone else's stuff. I try not to post too much I am afraid of annoying everyone. :(

    ReplyDelete