I'm having a huge debate with myself right now. I've met some nice people who I could live with but I haven't met anyone yet who I'm excited to live with. The last two times I found roommates through Craigslist, I left our first meetings being 100% sure that these were the ladies I wanted to live with. Both situations worked out perfectly and I want another great roommate. It's not quite crunch time yet so I think I'm going to hold out for a few more days. Hopefully, I'll find the perfect roommate soon!
Here are the qualities my ideal roommate would have:
1. A bright and positive personality. This is the biggest one for me. I always see the glass as half full and I can find a good point in even the most horrible situations. There's no way I could live with a negative person who doesn't share my love for life.
2. A busy schedule. I keep myself INSANELY busy. I like to fill my life with social sports, happy hours, and dinner dates with friends. I hate sitting around and doing nothing and I'd like a roommate who feels the same way.
3. Social. I've lived in situations before where all the roommates would come home from work, turn on the TVs in their bedrooms, and shut the doors. It was fine but it wasn't the ideal situation. My current roommate and I take full advantage of our living room. It's nice to have someone to watch an episode of Once Upon A Time or Four Houses with during the evening and I'd like to have that again.
4. Tidy but not obsessively so. I love that our apartment has a tidy but lived in feel. We both share the chores and make sure our dishes get washed, the rug gets vacuumed, and our shoes don't completely take over the living room. At the same time, neither one of us minds if we leave notebooks or laptops on our coffee table or if during a particularly busy week, a dish or two gets left in the sink overnight.
5. Not Judgy. As a twenty-something, I like to go out and have fun. I love going to happy hour with friends, going out dancing all night on the weekends, trying new things, and dating different people. I would not do well with a roommate who has a problem with any of those things.
Have you lived with roommates before? What qualities do you look for in a roommate?