Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Blogger Book Club: The Other Boleyn Girl


I'm linking up with one of my absolute favorite bloggers, Alyx at Every Day is a New Adventure, for this month's blogger book club.  I confess...I've never been very good at finishing book club books and this month was no exception.  I *almost* finished it and I've seen the movie/am a huge nerd and know way too much about history so I think this still qualifies me to write a review...right?

via Amazon
This month's book was The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.  Oh my goodness it is an excellent book!  Gregory is such a fantastic writer and I couldn't help but lose myself in her descriptive words and beautiful characters.  My heart ached for Mary, I hated Anne with every fiber of my being, and I felt terribly sorry for Queen Katherine.  I can't imagine living in a time where a girl as young as Mary is forced to leave her husband and seduce the king, just because the men in her family want to raise their status.  The heartlessness behind their scheming was pretty shocking.  Like Alyx, I didn't feel even a little bit bad knowing that Anne was going to be beheaded at the end...seriously though...homegirl was a monster.

In other news, did anyone else find themselves picturing Jonathan Rhys Meyers (swoon) as King Henry and Natalie Dormer as Anne?  Clearly I've watched The Tudors a few times too many.

Once I finish it (hopefully this weekend!) I have a feeling it's going to become one of the few books on my GoodReads list that I've awarded 5 stars to.

Have you read the book or seen the movie?  What did you think?


4 comments:

  1. I love 'period' dramas and will have to check this out once I finish my current books. Yes, having a kindle is not helping my habit have been about 40% done with like 3 books at once. I keep flipping back and forth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED that book! I honestly don't remember if I ever saw the movie...part of me thinks I did, but maybe I need to go back and watch it again! I've never seen The Tudors (didn't have HBO until recently) but I may have to check it out on Netflix! My current obsession though is Downton Abbey...I watched about 4 episodes after coffee on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did keep picturing JRM as Henry, even though I never fully watched The Tudors, but I forgot that Eric Bana plays him in the movie!!

    I think I'm the only one who felt bad for Anne at the end!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmm Oh my gosh. I think I need to see this movie. And I thought the book was so good! I can't believe I forgot about Queen Catherine in my review - how did I manage that?!?!
    Ah, oh well. Thanks for linking up with us, Leanna!!

    ReplyDelete