Thursday, March 7, 2013

Quarter Life Crisis



My quarter century birthday is breathing down my neck and I'm not liking it one bit.  In 5 1/2 weeks, I'll be 25 and to be honest, I'm struggling with it.  I have no intention of going all Jack Lancaster about my birthday (if you haven't read Twentysomething: The Quarter-Life Crisis of Jack Lancaster yet, go ahead and order yourself a copy...it's an amazing read) but I'm doing some major re-evaluating right now.

via someecards
When you're 18 years old, wide eyed and graduating high school, you view 25 as a time in your life where you should have your act together.  I always thought that by 25 I'd be a little further along in my career, have paid down more of my student loan debt, and built up a decent amount of savings...heck I used to think I'd be married...or at the very least engaged.  After college I moved to NYC then eventually back to DC and I realized for city dwellers, 25 isn't the end all be all.  While the city provides us with great career opportunities, we grow up a little slower here.  Housing prices keep us renting longer, our crazy work hours keep us from settling down as soon, and public transportation and the plethora of bars and restaurants keep us partying more often than our suburban counterparts.

Despite knowing this, I can't seem to shake that nagging little voice of 18 year old Leanna who still thinks I should have done more by 25.  Sure I have a job that I love and that pays the bills, I have amazing friends, and I volunteer in my community but I still feel like I'm coming up a little short.  I have a horrible time sticking to a budget, I throw away massive amounts of money on rent every month, P and I have broken off all ties, and I probably have a little more fun than I should.

I've been doing a lot of thinking over the past few weeks about how I can do a better job of reaching the milestones I always envisioned myself achieving by the time I'd spent a quarter of a century on this earth.  It's going to start with a re-vamp of my 30 Before 30 list...because let's be real here people...22 year old Leanna didn't have a clue about what she wanted to do by the time she turned 30.  Learning how to make a pie is a great thing...but there are way more important things to accomplish over the next 5 years.  I think it will probably end up under going another re-vamp or two over the next few years.  But I'm accepting that's ok.  Your goals and aspirations are going to change as you mature...and I think that's the most important lesson from my little quarter life crisis.

7 comments:

  1. I think you're doing great. Keep it up. And happy almost birthday!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! I turn 25 a few weeks after you and am feeling the exact same way!!! but you're doing OK. you're young, living in DC and figuring it out, ya know? i found this article a few weeks ago and i really loved it. you might like it too! http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/25-things-ive-learned-in-my-twenties/

    also, you're not having too much fun. when you're married with two kids and never go out, i'm sure you'll reminisce about these days (at least that's what i tell myself when i'm horribly hungover! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” - Joseph Campbell.

    Someone sent me this quote in the last year at a particularly tough time. It helped me rethink certain expectations and how they might be holding me back from enjoying life as it is. Which, let's face it, is actually pretty great. :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, let me tell you, from the vantage point of turning 30 in a couple of days....enjoy the time. I think from the time I turned 25 on, I really came into my own person. That was the START of really figuring out who I was, what I wanted, what I deserved, etc. It's a fun time. Enjoy it! It seriously only gets better as you go, I promise. Less and less drama, more and more just having fun doing the things that you like with the awesome people you surround yourself with. It's not scary, I promise! Im living breathing proof of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, Bunny. I'll always be here to be 25 and drunk with you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm turning 30 this month and I'm accepting it much better than when I turned 25. Twenty-five was hard, but its always a good idea to reflect on life every once in awhile. When I was like 22 I wrote an email to myself that was delivered to me 5 years later, when I was 27. I was soooo wrong with where I would be in my life, but my life was/is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why but 25 was tough for me too. I'm not too much older, I will be 27 in May and I've been thinking about doing a 30 by 30 challenge myself. I think we all need to revamp our lives to keep things fresh and new :-)

    ReplyDelete