Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up

Thursday

My roommate and I went to an amazing Bottlenotes event called Around the World in 80 Sips.  We had such a great time tasting the wines and learning about them.  My personal favorite was the Wine Sisterhood's Purple Cowboy.  Beringer also had tastings of their new wine Be.  The Be. wines are made with the same grapes as other Beringer wines but are at a much lower price point.  Plus, the names are absolutely adorable like Be. Flirty and Be. Bright.  The event will be making stops in Chicago, San Diego, Austin, Houston, Los Angeles, Boston, Denver and New York this year.  I highly recommend checking it out when it comes to your city!

Since my roommate and I don't believe in spitting out our wine after tasting it....in her words, "that's wasting!"...we wandered over to La Tasca for a quick post wine tasting bite to eat.  It was the perfect ending to the evening.

Friday

Since I have the greatest boss ever, I took Friday off to go to Kegs & Eggs with some college friends.  It was so much fun!  We rolled up to the 9:30 Club a little after 6am and the line was literally already around the corner and down the block.  For a hot minute, we were a little nervous about getting in but everything ended up working out ok.  Since we were so far back in the line, we ended up waiting for about a hour and a half to get in.  We came dangerously close to freezing to death (yes...I'm a drama queen...deal with it) but we were waiting with these absolutely hilarious guys from Richmond so it worked out for the best.  The live music started around 8 and the line-up was FANTASTIC.  The Dropkick Murphys played a killer acoustic set.  They were followed by Alternate Routes.  I'd never heard of them before but they were amazing!  I really loved their songs Tell Me Your Name and Asked You Twice.  They were followed by Carbon Leaf...because you can't celebrate St. Patty's Day in the DMV without Carbon Leaf.  They were wonderful as always...but their song about zombies did give me some HORRIBLE nightmares on Friday.  It's fine.  After Carbon Leaf, we stumbled out of the club, confused as to why it was light out, and headed to brunch at Matchbox with a few of the new friends we had met over the course of the morning.  I cannot say enough good things about their shrimp and potato pizza.  You need to try it.

Saturday

On Saturday we hit up Shamrock Fest with some of our favorite New Englanders.  These kids are hilarious...I can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard.  The concert itself was ok.  They usually have better Irish bands playing but this year they just got too big for their britches.  Making it the same weekend as St. Patty's Day (instead of the weekend before as usual) meant most of the big Irish bands were playing their hometowns.  We still had a great time though...and seeing Sublime with Rome was definitely a treat!  After the concert, the boys ditched us to go back to NoVa and Rach and I headed up to Columbia Heights for our friend T's Thrift Shop party.  I was seriously impressed by the costumes people came up with.

Sunday


via Someecards
Sunday I threw my annual St. Patty's Day party and it was a huge success!  A big thanks to Court at BB to 79th for her suggestion of making corned beef and cabbage sliders (they were a hit) and to two of my favorite bloggers Jbunny at Keep Caffeinated and Carry On and Christy at Planes Trains and Running Shoes (I got to meet The Pilot and he is just as awesome as her blog makes him seem) for joining in the festivities!  I had 17 people over to my apartment for lunch/pre-gaming activities and everything went surprisingly smoothly.  In addition to the sliders, Christy brought an amazing Irish soda bread, C contributed a Guinness cake, T&C brought mint chocolate chip cookies, I made a few dips and two signature cocktails (Irish coffees and Luck o' the Irish), and people brought over more beer than I know what to do with (seriously, if anyone wants to come over and help me drink it...you're invited).  I always love when I can bring together different groups of my friends and everyone gets along so well.

After the party we meandered over to Murphy's for their St. Patty's Day celebration.  As always, the music was fantastic and we ran into a bunch of our Patriots/Murphy's friends.  The highlight of the evening was definitely Z trying to put a temporary shamrock tattoo on my cheek...with gin.  It's totally fine.  We didn't stay quite as long as I would have liked since the boys had their heart set on going to a party downtown which somehow turned into just me going back to their house/watching Girls/falling asleep by 11 like total losers.  Oh well...despite the early ending, it was an absolutely fantastic day.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray weekend! I KNEW I forgot something for my blog post - meeting Christy! I would also like to point out that I drank most of the beer I brought over - you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I'm glad the sliders were a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That around the world in 80 sips event sounds so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. OMG. Leanna. I am totally stealing that Thrift Shop party idea!!!

    ReplyDelete